Monday, December 24, 2018

Baby Maxwell

Scott and I were so excited for our baby to come. We also kept saying stuff like this is the last time we eat at Arby’s without a kid or the last big date night or the last Saturday we sleep in, etc. Work was incredibly busy up to the day Maxwell was born. We always work on budgets in September and October, I left a week before our big presentations. Maxwell had been super low in the birth canal for weeks. My Dr was amazed my water had not broke since he was so low! 


I went to my Dr appointment on October 2nd and my doctor became concerned due to my decreasing amniotic fluid. I came back to her the next day and my fluid was lower so she said I would need to go into the hospital the evening of October 3rd. It was crazy walking into the hospital knowing I was going to leave with a baby not in my womb.


I was put on a dissolvable pill the evening of October 3rd. It didn’t do much to soften my cervix. I spent the night being frequently checked by nurses to see if there was progress. There wasn’t but there was also not much pain. It was nice to track Maxwell and hear his heartbeat all night.


The morning of October 4th my doctor joined me at 8:00 am to break my water. That was such a bizarre sensation! Then the contractions started to come with pitocin. Holy moly they hurt! My nurse slowed the pitocin but then after a calmer hour my Dr had the pitocin increased. I lasted about 45 mins with contractions every minute before I had my glorious epidural. I tried to have Scott distract me by dancing and telling me fun things but it didn’t help much. I couldnt tell if I was going to barf or crap my pants. The Dr was a wizard and I felt very little pain during the process of administering the epidural.   I had the most incredible nurse during my labor and she was truly an awesome cheerleader!


After the epidural I felt like I progressed quickly. I had the epidural around 10:30 am and then by 2:30 pm I started to push. I spent most of the morning just chatting with Scott and Stacey, resting and eating slushees! 


I pushed for about an hour and my Dr and nurse were so kind and helpful. They just sat on my bed and helped me push. Finally, little Maxwell arrived. He had hair and the most beautiful almond eyes. Scott cut the umbilical cord. We both cried! I had to get a decent amount of stitches but I loved just holding him on my chest and cuddling him. He was so alert and calm. We hung out in the delivery room until 9:30. We waited for a really fancy post delivery room that had a queen size bed Scott and I could share! Jenny came by to meet him! It was so magical for him to meet her. Stacey was there most of the day snapping photos. She made our birth story and used my baby book in which I wrote Maxwell a letter to guide the birth story. 


The first night after delivery, Maxwell spent the night in the nursery. I was so exhausted. The following day it was so nice to have so many visitors. He was 7 lbs 8 oz. We worked hard on breastfeeding in the hospital but Max had the suck of a piranha. It was crazy painful but I pushed on. Scott was such a champion Father, changing diapers, burping Maxwell and holding him tons. We were both just so in love with our baby!


We finally went home on Saturday October 6th just as two hour church was being announced in conference. It was so nice to be in our home with our little guy! 



1 comment:

  1. I'll never forget that day. I kept my phone with me at all times and jumped any time I got a message. I was so nervous and excited all day long and cried as soon as I got the first picture. So special to see you both be amazing parents and to have that sweetheart Maxwell in my life. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete